If you cannot get around curved screens, now you can finally choose the Optix MAG271R. It is a relatively new 1080p 165Hz VA gaming monitor engineered for an impressive e-sport gaming experience.
OPTIX MAG271R SPECIFICATIONS
- BRAND – MSI
- Screen Size: 27″
- Widescreen Non-glare
- Resolution: 1920 x 1080 FULL HD Resolution
- Refresh Rate: 165 Hz
- Viewing Angle: 178° (H) / 178° (V)
- Pixel Pitch: 0.3114mm
- Graphics color: 8 -bit color depth
- Color Support: 16.7 Million Display
- Brightness: 300 cd/m2
- Motion Blur Reduction: 1ms (MPRT)
- Contrast Ratio: 3000:1
- Panel Type: VA
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Response Time: 1ms (MPRT) / 4ms (GTG)
- Adaptive Sync Technology: AMD FreeSync Technology
- Digital Input: HDMI & DisplayPort, 2 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x DisplayPort 1.2 USB, 2 x USB 2.0 (Type A) + 1 x USB 2.0 (Type B; PC to MNT)
- Power: Energy Supply 100 – 240 VAC, 50/60Hz
- VESA Compatibility
- Mountable (100mm x 100mm)
- Stand Adjustments: Height: (0 – 130 mm), Tilt (-5° ~ 20°)
- Weight: 14.73 lbs/16lbs
The MSI Optix MAG271R monitor is built for fast-paced action and to create the smoothest visuals for your gameplay. It has a versatile screen height that can be modified to your viewing comfort. This monitor is equipped with a jaw-dropping 165Hz maximum refresh rate VA panel for silky smooth, fast movements, a 5-way OSD navigation joystick, dark gray/matte black finish, and dull anti-glare screen coating.
The MSI Optix MAG271R has the fastest 1ms response time in the industry that eliminates blurring or ghosting. Its 1920 x 1080 Full HD VA panel is surrounded by thin bezels and features a 3000:1 contrast ratio, a 300 cd/m² brightness rating plus support for up to 16.7 million colors. There is a Mystic Light RGB lighting at the back of the monitor that can be personalized to glow in different patterns and colors.
With AMD FreeSync support, this monitor has a display port that is compatible with both NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards. Thanks to its wider gamut coverage, its visuals for gameplay look more realistic and refined with vivid details. Additionally, the Optix MAG271R has a night vision built to be easy on the eyes. When the game scenes are changing rapidly, the Optix MAG271R gaming monitor can still maintain sharp and clear image quality. The gaming OSD lets you adjust the monitor settings using mouse and keyboard – based on your needs.
To set up this gaming monitor is extremely simple, thanks to the HDMI and the Display Port inputs. It features USB hubs that allow you to connect USB peripherals directly to the display. Connectivity options comprise two HDMI 2.0 ports, DisplayPort 1.2, a dual-USB 2.0 hub, and a headphones jack.
Performance and Features
The Optix MAG271R monitor delivers powerful performance for you to maximize your gaming experience. When it comes to response time (RT) speed, MSI did not state the standard (GtG) pixel transition. They only specify the 1ms Moving Picture Response Time (MPRT) speed that is achieved through backlight strobing. The 1ms MPRT lowers the display’s max brightness when active, and can function simultaneously as FreeSync/VRR (variable refresh rate).
To enable the 1ms MPRT, you go to the OSD (On-Screen Display) menu and turn on the Anti Motion Blur feature or set the RT option to Fastest. Both options enable backlight strobing, which lowers the perceived motion blur of fast-moving objects. Note that there will be screen gleaming when the 1ms MPRT is allowed. Although you may not see it, those that are sensitive to it may have a headache after prolonged monitor use. When you are not using the Anti Motion Blur technology, the real response time speed of the monitor is closer to about 5ms (GtG), which is standard for VA panels.
• Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution – Deliver the best gaming experience without unnecessary strain on your graphics card.
• 1ms Motion Picture Response Time and 165Hz Refresh Rate – A 1ms MPRT fast combined with a 165Hz refresh rate offer a responsive and smooth gaming experience, particularly in fast-paced game genres such as racing and FPS games. It also delivers ultra-fast performance, minimizing time-to-screen and lag.
• AMD Radeon FreeSync – This adaptive synchronization technology matches the AMD graphics card with your monitor’s frame rate to minimize screen ghosting, stuttering, and tearing for a smoother experience.
• 178° vertical and horizontal viewing angles- Allow you to view the screen from wide-ranging angles.
• 100,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio (3,000:1 typical) – It ensures the screen images are clear with bright highlights.
• 2 HDMI and DisplayPort inputs – Lets you set up DVD players and additional AV sources for a high-quality video and audio signal.
• 2 USB 2.0 ports – Lets you connect devices to the monitor, which then transmit the data to the computer.
• Gaming OSD – The Gaming OSD allows you to change gaming settings easily with its game-like interface. It also gives you access to other features like hotkeys, custom profiles, etc.
• Gaming Mode – The monitor offers different optimized viewing modes for a variety of applications such as Racing, FPS, RPG, RTS, Designer, and Reader.
• Night Vision – The Optix MAG271R night vision enhances dark scenes for quality visibility, so you can easily detect enemies.
• MSI Mystic Light RGB LED Lighting – There is a strip of customizable RGB LED at the back of the monitor so you can choose different lighting and color effects to suit your preference.
• Super-narrow bezel for maximum viewing size
• Extended color gamut and High contrast ratio
• Frameless Design
• Flat-screen for e-Sports experience
• Anti-Flicker and Less Blue Light
• Rich connectivity options and Height-adjustable arm
• RGB gaming LED and MSI Gaming OSD finishing
• A bit overpriced
• A total input lag of 16 ms, which is bad among the competition.
• Low density of 81 pixels-per-inch, resulting in pixelated text and picture quality
• Graphically-demanding video games may cause frame drops outside the adaptive refresh rate of 48 Hz
• Moderate ghosting in fast-paced games, mostly in darker scenes
Overall, the Optix MAG271R is an exceptional gaming monitor with immersive smooth performance, image quality, and many useful features. Unfortunately, its price, around $200 to $300, is on the high side considering the alternatives. However, since it is a unique model, you might decide to go for it.